Thursday, January 26, 2012

This Is How Exciting My Days Off Are...

First, let me tell you how on top of trends I am in that I began the first season of LOST today. It's apparently going to piss me off, so I might as well get used to it.

But to the reason for today's post (and hopefully a return to more regular posting):


I decided it would be a good idea to try to get at least somewhat healthier. Today I went to Publix to pick up some things to make lunch with and decided to make my meat sauce with ground turkey instead of ground beef. Not my favorite decision of all time, but I can work with it. It's slathered in tomatoes and garlic and spices, so I figure there's a way I can gussy it up just right and it'll be fine.

But I can't just do things for the sake of doing it. I need "credit." So I call Ashie to tell her the good news. She responds with her trademark enthusiasm. I start explaining how I'm not trying to revolutionize my diet. I figure if I cut out red meat in my spaghetti sauce, I can feel less guilty when I indulge in a steak some other time. She said she agrees. She doesn't eat cookies (or was it ice cream) so she can have wine. Astutely pointed out that neither of us is really a revolutionary.

Which got me thinking. We're not Paul Revere. We're those people that kind of lean back in their chairs at dinner and say, "Have you guys heard about the Red Coats? Apparently, they're on their way." And then return to our Shepherd's Pie (made with ground turkey, of course.)

No comments:

Post a Comment